Friday, January 6, 2012

Well It Has Finally Happened

When I was planning my trip to NYC to see Pee Wee, there were three opportunities in which I could see shows. The second time slot I filled with The Radio City Christmas Spectacular. It played an off time, Tuesday afternoon, so there was nothing else I could have seen. I pre-booked my ticket for the Spectacular which left me with just Monday night without a ticket to a show.


I am glad that I saw the Christmas Spectacular. I enjoy cheesy Christmas things, and the Spectacular did not disappoint. I did have a bit of unpleasantness getting into the theatre though. When I went through security I was pulled aside because I had my camera. For whatever reason since I have a decent digital SLR camera with multiple lenses, I had to check my camera during the show. This irritated me to no end before the show, but I was especially hacked off during the show. I watched the entire show through a sea of camera and cell phone screens. I had to leave my rather expensive camera with some security flunky and then endure hundreds of bright camera screens and flashes during the show?! Not cool!


Among the options that I considered for Monday night was an opera or The Nutcracker. I have never seen either in New York despite the fact that I have every intention to do so when I visit. I decided though that I would rather just wait to get to the city and then get a cheap ticket at TKTS for something.


What did I end up seeing? Nothing! The days of getting an inexpensive half price ticket at TKTS are over. Nowadays shows have the option to sell at whatever percent discount they want. So there is a good chance that a ticket at TKTS is still going to cost $100. I have officially been priced out of Broadway. Gone are my days of going to New York and seeing multiple shows in one trip by buying inexpensive tickets to everything. I just can't justify spending that much on a show I may or may not even like anyway. Oh well! Maybe it is time to start going to operas and symphony concerts where you can still get cheap seats.



It is probably for the best that I did not go see Spider Man since that was the night the actor fell during a flying trick and seriously injured himself.



I even went so far as to try to buy a standing room ticket for Elf the Musical. They wouldn't sell one to me because the show wasn't completely sold out. Well I showed them. I kept my $25 and saw nothing!?!

No comments: