Friday, January 13, 2012

I Wanna Dance The Kooza

I love going to see Cirque du Soleil's shows for no reason other than their entertainment value, but for the first time I got to see someone I know perform in one. Not too long after I left The Wizard of Oz Year 2, our female swing and assistant stage manager Vedra also left Wizard to join Kooza. Kooza is one of Cirque's newer shows, and Vedra took over one of the vocalist tracks. When I was researching things to do in Miami, I discovered that Kooza would be in town during our run, but more importantly they had a performance that I could go see. So I contacted Vedra to let her know I was coming, and she graciously offered to give me a backstage tour. It was not only my first time seeing one of the Cirque shows that travel and perform in a tent, but it also my first time going backstage. The most interesting thing is that the show is its own little self contained world right done to the food. They travel a kitchen trailer and chefs who cook for the performers.






I am happy to report that the show is great. I had downloaded the recording of Kooza so that I could be familiar with the music before I saw the show, and I haven't stopped listening to it. Vedra was fantastic and has several big moments in the show. Oh how it makes me wish there was a Cirque show for me!

No comments: