Thursday, June 4, 2009

Opening (And Closing) Night Party In Tallahassee

Having been to quite a few opening night parties now (it seems like we had even more on The Wedding Singer?!), I must say that I have pretty high standards. For me to be happy, there must be at least 2 free drinks and there should be enough food for the entire company. Especially if we have to tear down the pit after the show. It seems to me that given those criteria all opening night parties should be able to measure up. Alas some do not. (Yes I am talking to you Greenville, South Carolina with your cash bar and awful food!)

So given all of the hype, I had very high expectations for Tallahassee, and it did not disappoint. There was an expansive spread of food (rivaling Scranton in fact) including multiple types of sushi, crab legs, a turkey carving station, and a beef carving station. Also they had a separate table with an overwhelming selection of desserts and most importantly unlimited wine and champagne!

Even the decorations were pretty amazing:


(The empty TCBY cups were a very nice touch!)



At one point I was roped in by a table of little old ladies. They had already snared Cassie and Jason (Dorothy and the Lion) and were talking to them. One of the ladies was asking Cassie questions and came out with the funniest patron comment I ever expect to hear. She said, "Oh you did such a great job, and I only saw you break character 3 times." I thought I was going to pee my pants I laughed so hard. Poor Cassie all she could do was nod her head and agree. (It takes very little to break Cassie from what I understand!) Thankfully they announced that we needed to get on the bus before the ladies had a crack at me.



This is most likely the only place that will provide an ice sculpture for the opening night!


My question though is, "Where does the money for all of this come from?" I mean we played one performance in a venue that probably held less than 2000 people. Perhaps some sort of endowment or rich patrons of the Tallahassee Broadway Series? Either way, I will come back anytime and play your arena for that kind of a party!

No comments: