Thursday, April 17, 2008

Dallas


So far Dallas has not been quite what I expected. I have not seen a single silly big hat or cowboy boot. So far the only annoyances have been transportation related. Our hotel is just under 2 miles from the theatre, but it is too far to walk. (Well I walked it on Monday. It was only 30 minutes.) Normally that means we have rental cars to get to the theatre, but not here in Dallas. Our hotel has 2 shuttle vans that transport us. So far it has been a bit of a fiasco. We almost did not make it to our sound check on Tuesday. Also after the show everyone rushes around trying to get out of the theatre so that they can be in the first shuttles back to the hotel. It is like being at Disney World when the park closes. I opt for being calm and taking my time. (Sadly there are no gift shops to kill time in like in Disney!)

We had an opening night party at the House of Blues on Tuesday night. It was fun with good food and 2 free drinks. (They say that everything is bigger in Texas, but we got 4 free drinks in Charlotte. Way to go Texas!) I did get my first cast gift bag though. The most exciting gift was a water bottle. Sadly though it had three tubes of scented body lotion inside of it. My Diet Dr. Pepper still tastes strangely fruity.

On the agenda for the rest of my time here in Dallas: The JFK museum and Book Depository, the gigantic Northpark Mall, Dallas Museum of Art and Nashor Sculpture Park, and the Dallas Aquarium. Now I just need to find something fun to do on our golden day Monday!

3 comments:

T Cow said...

It's like I'm chasing you around the country. We were just in Dallas April 3rd through April 6th. We were there for a wedding actually, ironic? Alas, no wedding singers were there. Wish I could have stayed long enough to see you. But I had to get back to the grind of the day job.... Keep well, I miss you.

Laura said...

Too bad The Wedding Singer is not in St. Louis right now - more than Holly would have rocked his world! There was an earthquake(5.4) at 4:37 a.m. centered in West Salem,IL, not that far southeast of St. Louis. I felt it, couldn't figure out what the crazy cats were up to in the basement causing the closet doors to creak & the bed to move! Dad felt nothing!!!

Laura said...

Check out the April 18 Entertainment Weekly, pg.70 "Pacific Heights" about the first & only revival of "South Pacific". I guess it's leads Kelli O'Hara & Paulo Szot are great but "they're both eclipsed by the 30-piece orchestra that's stashed beneath the stage." Go pit!!!!!!