Sunday, January 10, 2010

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow in Orange, TX

After our performance of The Wizard of Oz on Ice we boarded the bus and drove through Louisiana to Orange, TX. Now when I was home for Christmas and was repacking my bags, I knew that we had some Southern stops coming up. Therefore I kept a couple of pairs of shorts and t-shirts just in case I could get away with wearing them in the warm locales. So imagine my disappointment when we pulled into our hotel in the middle of a snow storm! Really Texas, really?! I realize that it is January, but come on!


There is really not much to Orange. I did not walk around the area by the theatre because there was nothing there. Thankfully our hotel was a few miles away, and had the Southern fast food triumvirate: Sonic, Jack in the Box, and Whataburger. I had one of each.




Talk about obvious Orange, Texas.


For some reason the Lutcher Theatre reminded me of Merrillville High School's Auditorium. I think it was the brick walls.



Under normal circumstances, when we finish our last show the musicians pack up as quickly as possible so the the pit rat and the local crew can start tearing down the pit. Our last show in Orange was not a normal circumstance. We only had a matinee and to make the following day a golden day they scheduled our travel to the next city for after the show. To make matters even better our next city was Baton Rouge, LA which is only about an hour and a half from New Orleans. Close proximity to New Orleans + day off = an adventure! Quite a few company members booked cars and hotels so that they could spend as much time as possible in New Orleans and management scheduled a day trip on the bus for the rest of us. So to get us to Baton Rouge as soon as possible (and therefore New Orleans!) all of the musicians helped tear down the pit in under 30 minutes. We were even able to tear down and still get to the bus before Pat was finished removing her green makeup. Best of all we did not leave anything behind!

No comments: