Thursday, January 28, 2010

Graceland

Isn't it interesting how free transportation and free admission to something will help to make up a person mind to see something he might otherwise pass up. I have actually heard that visiting Graceland is really interesting, but I do not think that I would ever take a road trip to Memphis for the sole purpose of visiting Elvis's former home.



I have heard before that one of the most interesting aspects of Graceland is the fact that the house is really not a huge mansion. Admittedly it is a very large house, but it is more the amount of land and the others buildings on the property that make it seem expansive. It doesn't help that visitors are only allowed on the ground and basement levels of the house. Elvis's bedroom upstairs is off limits, and frankly given some of the crazies out there it is probably a good thing!




Since we were visiting in December, the house was decked out for Christmas.








Given the fact that Elvis had staff to cook for him round the clock, one would expect the kitchen to be more impressive!


I suspect that the camera is not original.






Yes Elvis did watch three TVs at once. Note the turntable on the left.


Hmm, decorating with fabric is tricky!











According to the audio tour, Elvis had a gathering in this room on the night that he died. It was also the only piano that I saw on the tour.


There are gold records and awards everywhere!








When you buy your ticket for Graceland you have the option to see other Elvis attractions. Since we got all of them for free, I went to a couple others.




Elvis's tractor (restored).


Elvis's plane, The Lisa Marie.


Oh my god, it's Elvis's bed!!




I really enjoyed the Graceland experience. I'm not sure I would go back again if I return to Memphis, but it was worth the price of admission.

No comments: