Friday, March 20, 2009

Nashville to Syracuse by bus...WHAT?

After concluding our tour of the ...villes with TraceAdkinsVille, we made our way to Syracuse by bus. If it sounds like a miserable way to travel between Nashville and Syracuse then you would be right!

To add insult to injury, our second day on the bus just happened to be Inauguration Day. As most of us were loathe to miss the Inauguration itself, we stopped at a New York Travel Plaza and watched the swearing in and speech at the Roy Rogers. Ah the joys of being on the road!

Photography by Jason Simon
-

We had a split week in Syracuse so I did not get to explore much. I found a Jimmy Johns and Pita Pit so I was set for food. I took the shuttle to the mall to get a haircut, and I did my laundry. The only other thing of note that I did was to watch the inaugural parade before heading to the theatre.

















Oh and the theatre? One of my least favorite. First, it was impossible to find. The theatre's address is the backside of the building which bears no resemblance a theatre whatsoever! In fact had I not run into one of the crew members, I probably would have been late to sound check. As for the house, I think that Civic Center is the perfect name for the theatre. There is nothing remotely beautiful about it. Merely functional.


Syracuse Stage is a regional theatre that is only a couple of blocks from our hotel. When I walked past the first time, I noticed that they were doing a Sondheim revue called Putting It Together with a fantastic cast (Lillias White, Chuck Cooper). Sadly though, I can now add Putting it Together to the list of shows that I did not get to see while I was in town with a tour. They did have a performance time that I could have attended had the show not opened the week after we were there! Curses!

No comments: