Sunday, February 14, 2010

Palo Duro Canyon

On the cover of the tourist brochure for Amarillo was a picture taken at the Palo Duro Canyon in Amarillo. After seeing the picture, I knew that I had to try to make it there somehow. So when I discovered that Robert wanted to see the canyon also it worked out perfectly!


Actual Texas longhorn.


Supposedly the Palo Duro Canyon is the second largest canyon after the Grand Canyon.










Clair and Monica were a part of the group.


Lighthouse Rock is one of the main attractions in the canyon. We decided to take the trail that led to the Lighthouse Rock. Confusingly there is a rock formation that looks quite a bit like the pictures of the Lighthouse that is visible from the beginning of the trail.


This was not the real Lighthouse Rock, but a doppelganger as we discovered!








We never saw the animal that made these tracks. Stupid turkeys!


Once you make it about halfway through the trail, you can finally see the real Lighthouse Rock.


The trail leading up to Lighthouse Rock is rather treacherous, but totally worth it.


The prize at the end of the trail is Kristen!


The six mile trail was worth it for just this one picture.




Yes that is me.




I did find some points of interest along the way.













Ch, ch, ch, Chia Rock
-








I have had a lot of experiences on tour, and my trip to Palo Duro ranks as one of the my favorite experiences! I recommend it to anyone who might be close to the area.

No comments: