Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Christmas At Home

So you would think that with as much time as I spend in theatres playing a show, I would be sick of them. That is just not the case. So since we had a week off for Christmas, I took the train up to Chicago to see something. There was one particular something that I wanted to see: The Addams Family.




In my mind the idea of an Addams Family musical seems like a fun idea. What was on stage at the Oriental on the other hand was not so fun. Admittedly parts of the show were good, but on the whole it was just disappointing. There are many reasons why, but mostly the plot of the show just did not really work in the Addams world. I am hopefully that the show will be improved before it opens on Broadway because it could be really great.


I am also a sucker for holiday shows. It had been a couple of years since I had seen one so I took a day and got cheap tickets to two. First up was the Chicago Symphony Orchestra's Welcome Yule.


Symphony Center (seen through the lens of my phone)


I have to say that Welcome Yule was not really to my liking. It did not feature the orchestra enough in the music. The concert was also built around a rather dumb story about waiting for Santa to arrive at Symphony Center. At least it showed me how much I enjoy orchestral music and how rarely I go hear it live.


Next up was the Joffrey Ballet's Nutcracker.


The Auditorium Theatre (again thanks to my phone)


The Nutcracker was more satisfying although I really could have done without so many kids!


Christmas itself was crazy as ever. This year I was actually able be home for Christmas unlike the previous year sitting in a hotel by Newark Airport!


Thankfully I was able to make use of Santa's helpers to wrap my gifts!








No comments: