Friday, December 4, 2009

Baltimore's Venues

Baltimore has three large theatrical venues. We played at The Lyric Opera House.







One does not see many venues with this type of seating configuration. Instead of the modern fan shaped seating, the Lyric has a very rectangular set up. I am not sure I would want to be on the side of the balcony close to the stage. The sight lines cannot be very good.



The major touring venue though is The Hippodrome. This is where most national tours play. In fact Annie played there last year and The Wedding Singer played there two years ago (sadly before I joined).



The third venue is the Morris Mechanic Theatre. Unfortunately The Mechanic has not been used since The Hippodrome was renovated a few years ago and oh does it show. Everything is boarded up and none of the shops in the building are open.






I am not sure what the Mechanic looked like on the inside, but I have a feeling it is not a major loss in terms of the design. It does make me a bit sad to see a theatre in disrepair like this though, and I actually saw it many times. Our hotel was right across the street!

No comments: