Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Alma Mater

During my time at IU, I spent a fair amount of time at the IU Auditorium. Every year I included tickets to the Broadway shows in my tuition so that I could afford to see the musicals that came through Bloomington. I was also in the building 5 days a week for band practice (the band department was in the basement of the Auditorium). Finally I played for several Singing Hoosiers Concerts at the Auditorium. So you can imagine how exciting and surreal it was to return to the Auditorium as a professional.


I love how they lit up the building!


Sadly the IU Auditorium is not very interesting as a building.


The house is really a giant barn and very plain, but at least they were able to tie in the crimson and cream motif!



I am not sure how he found out, but when we got to the Auditorium for our first show the director of the Auditorium came over to ask who the IU Alumni were. (Perhaps he saw the exciting IDS article.) Chris and I chatted with him and reminisced about our time in Bloomington. (In fact we had a discussion about our Pizza Express cup collections!) Little did we realize that he would be giving a curtain speech before each show, and both times he mentioned us by name. It was pretty cool I must say!
-
I hate to think about It, but it has been 12 years now since I graduated. Needless to say, I do not know many people in Bloomington these days so Kate was the only person I was able to get a ticket for. I was excited that she could come, but I have not been that nervous playing a show in quite some time! Thankfully the performance went well so she did not rescind my diploma, and we went out to The Irish Lion for drinks afterwards. I cannot wait to return with Beauty and the Beast!

No comments: