Monday, September 13, 2010

London (No Not That One)

From Hamilton we continued further west in Ontario to London. Though I had never played London before, I had certainly heard about it. London, Ontario has that most dreaded of venues: the ice arena. Oh the horror stories that I heard about how cold the arena is, that our instruments basically get set right on the ice (with a thin layer of wood in between), and how nobody can play in tune because of the temperature. So knowing that I was not exactly looking forward to playing London, but I was pleasantly surprised!



Downtown London is not so bad. There are restaurants and shops plus some pretty cool architecture.




Not to mention the giant rhino!


One of the best features of Downtown London is the Farmer's Market. Now this is less a Farmer's Market where people set up tables and sell vegetables and more of a market where you can buy fresh produce as well as visit small local restaurants all under one roof. And it is right across the street from the theatre!












I am not sure what happens at the Grand Theatre, but there was some sort of event when I walked past.


Of course whatever the event it could not compare to Beauty and the Beast on ice...




except that there was no ice. Since the hockey season was over, they melted the ice and we got to play in a comfortable temperature.






Here was our "pit". Again Carolyn had to sit out front to conduct.



There may not have been any ice, but there were signs of the hockey everywhere!


If only I could have driven one of the zambonis!

No comments: