Sunday, May 9, 2010

K-zoo

Having escaped Peoria, we headed north to Kalamazoo. I have visited Kalamazoo quite a few times having lived about an hour away when I was in Nappanee. Amongst other things there are two decent downhill skiing places in the Kalamazoo area! Since it was so close to my former home, Kalamazoo was also the closest tour stop for my friends in the South Bend area. I am happy to report, that I had friends come to two shows. My friend Tanya from the Woodwind and Brasswind and her sister came one night and my cellist friend Earle saw another performance with his friend Jessica.


The Miller Auditorium, which is the touring venue in Kalamazoo, is on the campus of Western Michigan University.



I braved the cold weather and walked around the campus a bit. I was surprised by the amount of sculpture (well I'm not sure if the above is sculpture or not!).







I have actually seen a show at the Miller Auditorium before. Years ago I accompanied Tanya to a performance of Rent. So I can now cross off another theatre on my list of "theatres I have both performed in and seen shows at".











Kalamazoo is auspicious because it is the city where Nate, pictured here as a blurry head, joined the tour as our assistant musical director!





I have to say the Miller Auditorium did not really do much for me until they turned on the blue lights.
-
I had fun in Kalamazoo and would gladly have stayed if for no other reason than to avoid the next tour stop: Flint, Michigan!

No comments: