Sunday, April 26, 2009

Back To Work

Given the nonsense I faced trying to leave New York at the beginning of the layoff, I had to then return to New York to return to tour. It made sense to buy a round trip flight because there would be a bus taking the New Yorkers back to tour. Also our first stop was Easton, Pennsylvania which is not the most convenient city to fly into.

I gathered all of my belongings together again, paid $140 in baggage fees (thank goodness for reimbursement!), and flew into Laguardia again. Since I really only had one night in the city, I couldn't get into much trouble so I decided to continue the theme of my layoff and see another show.


Once again I based my choice on price as much as anything else. There was an Off Broadway show that I had been interested in seeing called Fuerza Bruta. As it turns out not only do they sell day of rush tickets, that night was also Boy's Night. So I got in the line outside the theatre (well actually I was so early, I could have started the line), and got my cheap ticket.



You might be wondering what Fuerza Bruta is exactly. Well it is really hard to describe. It is a show along the lines of Blue Man Group or Stomp meaning it is more an experience than a show that tells a story. There are several different segments in the show like the two people chasing each other on a giant silver fly swatter or the segment where the performers smash paper boxes filled with confetti on each other's heads. But the highlight of the show is the overhead pool. The audience stands for the show and for the final segment a clear plastic pool descends. Four of the performers then splish and splash in the pool, run and slide across it, and in general just get really wet. And since it was Boy's Night, the show turned into a big dance party under the shower. In fact I was a bit confused as to what was happening for a while. It was a fun show, but probably the sort of show that would be more fun with a group.



The next day, I took a car into Manhattan and got on the good old Croswell bus for Easton.

No comments: