Monday, February 9, 2009

Christmas Break

So let's see. My Christmas break started on December 15th, and it is February 9th. I'm not even two months behind in my blog. At this point I will be lucky to remember anything! I will give it a shot though.

The first thing I remember is having to work my way through the mess in my bedroom at my parent's house. This was the first time that I had been home since I first left for Wizard, and there was a pile of stuff to organize. Sadly as I sit typing this two months later, there is still so much stuff to organize, but I shall persevere!

As much as trendy things annoy me, I have grown to really appreciate Facebook. One of the things that it does is to help reconnect me with people I have lost touch with. One of those people was my good friend from high school Heather the Groovy. I was so excited when she added me as a friend, and I immediately wrote to her and suggested getting together on my break. We did meet for lunch, and I had a great time catching up after so many years.

Speaking of catching up, I made it into Chicago a couple of times, and one of those time was with my mother. We had decided to take the train into the city, and in typical Claus fashion we pulled into the parking lot just as the train was leaving the station. So we had to wait for the next train. As fate would have it, while we were waiting an old friend of my mother's walked into the station, and so they had a very pleasant time talking on the train ride up. Mom's friend was going to the Opera so I suggested that they come up to see Wizard when we are playing Chicago. Hopefully they will.

Aside from my trip in to go shopping with Mom, I also took the train up to see a production of The Brothers Karamazov at the Lookingglass Theatre, and to meet up with my friend Eric. The Lookingglass Theatre company is my favorite theatre group, and I go to see every one of their productions when possible. Back in high school I saw their production The Arabian Nights, and to this day it is my favorite piece of theatre I have seen. They are reviving it this summer, and I recommend that everyone check it out. The Brothers Karamazov was very good example of why I love the Lookingglass, and though it is not the most Christmasy of stories, I was glad to see it.

I also made a whirlwind trip out to South Bend and Nappanee. In that trip I was able to meet Sherry for lunch, get a haircut from Laurie, do some shopping and banking, meet Tanya for dinner, visit my old landlord and landlady, and see A Wonderful Life at the Round Barn. It was a very full day, but planned well. I was glad to see Wonderful Life at the RBT because it is the first production that I was able to see there since I left for Wizard. I am not a huge fan of the show, but the production was good, and the orchestra sounded really good. I guess they didn't really need me after all.

So now for the tragic new about my camera. It disappeared during my break. I had it at the beginning because I tried to upload my pictures from Madison one day. My computer was being stupid and it wasn't uploading correctly so I stopped and decided to try another day. Well that other day never came. I can come up with only two scenarios as to what happened to my camera. First it might have fallen out of my murse on the train. Second I threw away a bag of garbage at the train station and it could have fallen into that. Either way is pathetic and does nothing to make me feel better about losing my camera. Oh well!

Christmas itself was a pretty low key affair this year. I actually flew back to rejoin the tour on Christmas Day so we had our Christmas on the Sunday before. The family gathered at my parent's house and mostly the presents involving me were distributed. It was fun to watch my niece Reagan because she is at that age where she is just starting to know what presents are and to enjoy opening them. Apparently I made a wise choice this year with my stuffed Daisy Duck doll. I assumed that since Reagan was a fan on Mickey's Clubhouse she might want a Daisy. According to Toni, she was quite fond of it. I like it when I pick good presents.

All in all it was a good break, and was certainly appreciated. The Wizard of Oz is fine, but it is nice to escape every so often!








No comments: