Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Newport

Just across the river from Cincinnati lies the strange land of Kentucky. Since there is not much to do in downtown Cincinnati, I ended up crossing the river to Newport a couple of times to amuse myself. There is an entertainment complex made up of several restaurants, a cinema, and the aquarium. I actually ended up doing a little of each.


On Friday I went to go see Bolt, the new Disney animated movie. I have faithfully seen each of the new Disney movies in the cinema for quite some years now. As often than not lately, I have ended up disappointed (The Wild, Treasure Planet), but Bolt was one of their better recent efforts. I opted for the 3D version which was worth the extra $2 in my opinion.


After seeing Bolt, I headed over to the Newport Aquarium. (I guess that this tour is going to be my Aquarium tour) The Aquarium was fine, certainly not one of the best that I have visited. The otters were very cute, and they had a few penguins. The weird thing about this Aquarium was the decorations. Now I will be the first to admit that I go overboard with my Christmas decorations, but the people at this Aquarium took their decorating way too far. Everywhere you turned there were inflatable lawn decorations, cheesy hand painted Amish Acresesque decorations, and obviously left over from Halloween a pumpkin in one of the fish tanks. They even went so far as to have a full size Santa Claus sleigh in the shark tank. I did enjoy the sharks with the Christmas wreathes hanging in the lobby though.







2 comments:

Brian said...

Ahhh... Newport, Kentucky. My saving grace of Cincy. Don't forget to mention that there's a Bar Louis there too! I also got a lovely Paul Frank monkey lanyard from that mall!

Ryan Claus said...

We somehow never made to the Bar Louis. We opted for the Irish Pub in Newport. Sadly there wasn't a Paul Frank in the mall. There actually were only a handful of stores there.