Thursday, November 27, 2008

The First Thanksgiving

It has been a week, since I posted these pictures with the somewhat cryptic post title. In doing so, I was getting ahead of myself chronologically, but these things do happen. So as I sit here almost finished with my week in Washington D.C., I will do my best to catch up. Bear with me.

So jump ahead one city after Cincinnati to Thanksgiving in Philadelphia. We arrived the day before Thanksgiving, and then had performances on the weekend. As a publicity event, the Wizard of Oz was a part of the Philadelphia Thanksgiving Parade. They actors marched or rode in a carriage, then they performed at the end of the parade route. The orchestra and cast recorded the backing track for the performance all the way back in Miami. I guess they needed time to practice their lip syncing.

Since the musicians were not a part of the parade, four of us decided to try to watch the parade performance. Well we were not able to get tickets to sit in the stands where the performances happen, but we did make an appearance along the parade route to make a scene when the Wizard folk marched by. Then after cheering and taking pictures, we met up with the parade after it turned a corner on its route to be obnoxious again. After that we ran back to the hotel so that we could watch the performance. I taped it with my camera. If I figure out how, I will post it here on the blog.

Later that day, NETworks provided us with a Thanksgiving meal at an Irish Pub close to our hotel. The meal was very good (although a little less nontraditional than I had hoped), and it was good to be with that group of people. This was my first Thanksgiving that I was not home with the family, so I felt a little sad. I mean I had to look through the Black Friday adverts all by myself. It was nice that I could be with my "touring family" though instead of just sitting in a hotel room somewhere. Christmas this year will be even less exciting as I will be flying to Newark and spending the night by the Newark Airport. Oh the joys of being a traveling performer!

Here are the highlights of the day.
























No comments: