Thursday, June 26, 2008

On Broadway








-I have to say that this season on Broadway was not particularly thrilling to me. I am sure that once I see In The Heights I will enjoy it. But nothing that I have seen of it so far has been particularly interesting to me. Ditto Passing Strange. Cry Baby closed the day before I got there. I hate South Pacific, and whereas I am sure that the revival is great I would really rather not put myself through that. I love Patti LuPone, but I just could not bring myself to see Gypsy. I was interested in seeing August: Osage County, but did not want to pay full price. So I had to really had to think through what I wanted to see.
-Since very few shows play on Monday night, I decided to go back and see Spring Awakening again. I am very glad that I did. Typically with rock shows, I listen to the CD and it does not interest me. Then I see the show and love it. This was the case with Spring Awakening. I loved the show last year, but did not get as much out of it had I listened to the CD more before seeing it. The cast was mostly new, but they were all really good. I did have a positive usher experience at the Eugene O'Neill Theatre. I had gotten a TKTS to see the show, and the seat was in the first row of the mezzanine. When I sat down in my seat, I realized that my legs were too long to fit. I often have this problem in New York theatres, and I really did not want to suffer through the show with compressed knee caps. So I talked to the ushers then the house manager who moved me to the house right box. I had a box all to myself for the show!
-My next opportunity to see a show was Wednesday afternoon. As I explained, I was a bit torn as to what I would see. So I decided to let the selection at TKTS guide me. Surprisingly (well to me at least), August: Osage County was available at TKTS. I figured that it would not be discounted since it just won the Best Play Tony, but I guess that it has been playing for a few months. I jumped into the line, and it was still available when I got the window. The play was really good, and lived up to the hype for me. Plus the 3 hour 20 minute running time went by really quickly.
-The one show that I knew I had to see was Xanadu! It got such great reviews, and everyone seems to love it. I booked a ticket ahead of time so that I could get one of the onstage seats. I had such a great time. Xanadu tries to be nothing other than a really fun evening at the theatre. It is pretty great to be onstage amongst such performers as Cheyenne Jackson, Mary Testa, and Jackie Hoffman. I even got a glow stick to use at the end of the show.
-Sadly my time in New York has come to an end. I drove down with Jenny today, and have moved into my new home away from home. (Well for 9 weeks that is.)

No comments: