Thursday, May 15, 2008

Someone Outta Open Up A Window





-It is hot. It is hot and humid. It is hot and humid and I cannot stand it. In fact I hate it!
-There I said it, and now that I have gotten that out of my system I can move on. Houston is one of the less interesting cities that I have visited so far. We are at the Doubletree in the downtown area. The advantage is that we are only 4 blocks from the Hobby Center where we are performing, but that is about it. The "great famine" sets in at 3:00 when most of the downtown restaurants close. And forget about finding any place to eat on Saturday and Sunday. Even the CVS is closed on the weekend. Thankfully the hotel restaurant is not ridiculously overpriced.
-There are also not many "attractions" to visit in downtown Houston. I went to the Downtown Aquarium yesterday. I think that I spent an hour there, but that is mostly because I was trying to get some decent pictures with my sad little camera. The aquarium was really small although the displays that they did have were very nice, and just to be really random they had two white tigers at the end of the exhibits. Go figure?!
-I walked around the theatre district yesterday, and I walked past the Alley Theatre. They are presenting the premiere of the stage version of An American In Paris. Sadly they have the exact same schedule as The Wedding Singer so I am unable to see it. Alas!
-Before I got to Houston, Brian said that I had to visit the Galleria Mall. I have now been twice, and it is impressive. The first time I went to watch (and laugh at) the cast while that did a promotional performance at the mall. It was catered by Chick-Fil-A. So at least I got 2 free chicken nuggets. I went back on my golden day Monday so that I could spend more time browsing properly. I ended up buying a new pair of brown sandals, and something that I saw at the Sketchers store summed up why I bought them. As I was trying on the pair that I ended up buying, I noticed a pair of kids sandals with a cartoon character on them. The cartoon was a mad scientist type and was named Professor Stankfeet, and that perfectly illustrates who I became when I put on my old sandals!
-Finally I have walked past the shiny building in the third picture many times, and for some reason it seemed familiar. After a bit of detective work, I discovered it was the former headquarters of Enron. Of course there is no indication that Enron ever existed anywhere, but it is a spectacular building.

3 comments:

Earle said...

Its hot up here.
Its hot and its monotonous.

Nothing new to report at the WWBW. Trying to keep up with your posting, but I can't seem to find time at home to be online. Anyway, I read about the Alamo. I remember being in SA for Texas Orchestra Director's show when I worked at UMI. The Riverwalk is quite crowded. But it was fun. Glad you are having so much fun. And maybe if I am back in the pit at Amish Acres, I will grab your bum.

Earle said...

Actually, its not hot in Indiana. Your post just reminded me of Sunday in the Park with George....

Ryan Claus said...

I kept trying to figure out a way to incorporate "Sunday In The Park... into my comments about it being hot, but I do not really like the show therefore I do not know it well. I opted for the more mundane 1776 "Someone ought to open up a window... Cause it is hot as Hell in Philadelphia" reference.

How fun that you have also been to the riverwalk in San Antonio, and know what I mean. It is fun, but in that "the Hard Rock Cafe is over there you stupid tourist" sort of way. And just for the record, my bum is always up for the grabbing!