Monday, February 14, 2011

Inside The Winspear Opera House

From the first moment that I walked into the pit of the Winspear Opera House, I dumped my instruments and grabbed my camera. I spent the next two weeks taking pictures of this very cool theatre. In some ways the design is very simple, but the modern take on the opera house style theatre is very striking.
-
We were given a tour of the theatre by the presenter, and found out a few interesting factoids. The old people who donated the money that made the opera house possible were very particular about what they wanted. The theatre had to be an opera house design meaning no balcony but multiple horseshoe tiers. Another demand of the money people was that the tiers are painted with a certain carat gold paint (I don't remember the exact carat number). If the first rows of the orchestra level are lowered and the seats removed, the orchestra pit is one of the biggest in the country (if not the largest). Needless to say we did not need the extra space!
-
I loved my two weeks at the Winspear. I hope that I return with a different show one day.








I had a hard time getting the little lamps all along the tiers to look like anything but little blurs of lights.


They left the chandelier down one day with the lights turned off. Of course I had to take a picture.

No comments: