Friday, July 10, 2009

Another Stamp on the Shirt

After a week of playing in the oven that is The Kravis Center, I was ready for a break. Of course since I was in Florida there was really only one place to spend my layoff: Disney World! I actually split my time between Glenn's place and Disney World, and as it turned out I was even on the verge of skipping Disney altogether.

During the entire week that we played West Palm Beach, the weather seemed to be on the verge of storming. Thankfully it did not...well that is until Monday night when I set out for Jim and Jeremy's house in Orlando. It rained heavily the entire way and did not let up the next morning when Jim and I set out on our outlet shopping adventure. Of course we did not let that stop us from hitting out favorite haunts (including the Disney Outlet), but it did make getting to and from the stores and the car very interesting. We finished off our day at BJ's Brewhouse with dinner and a beer.

After shopping in the unrelenting rain, I decided that if I was going to Disney the next day I was only going for part of the day. Disney World may be fun, but it can also be miserable in the pouring rain. So imagine my surprise when I woke up the next morning to find that the sun was shining. As the morning progressed and I started to rethink my decision, Jim and Jeremy decided that they would accompany me. They should have known better!

I planned to spend my time in EPCOT and to have dinner in one of the World Showcase restaurants. I was excited because it was the Flower and Garden Festival in EPCOT, and to my memory I have never been during the Flower and Garden Festival. So as we were getting ready to head over (Jim and Jeremy live fairly close), the clouds started to gather, and the rain started up again. Of course!




Well none of us melted, but the rain poured down on us all day (except for when we were eating dinner). It certainly hampered my normal kamikaze approach to Disney World. Oh well. I like to make people do the lesser known, more random attractions when I am in Disney World, and the highlight that day was "Journey into the Imagination". Also can you believe that Jim and Jeremy did not know about the free samples of Coca Cola products from around the world in the Club Cool shop?! I introduced them to the free soda on the previous trip.



I did the best that I could with pictures given the rain. Some of these are from the next day.











For dinner I wanted to try out one of the nicer restaurants in World Showcase. So after much indecision, we decided on Les Chefs de France. The menu is pricey, but they do offer a prix fixe option which allows you to choose an appetizer, entree, and dessert for a fixed price. I chose the onion soup (of course), the salmon entree, and the creme brulee. The food was quite good, and the service was even better. Overall I would say that the menu is a bit overpriced, but I would go back if I was craving French cooking. Perhaps next time I will try the Bistro de Paris.
Given the gross weather we decided to skip Illuminations and I headed over to the Pop Century Hotel where I had booked a room for the night.
Oh and the title of the post? I have a Disney World shirt that had a series of pop art looking Mickeys arranged on the front. When I went with the Wizard folk in October, Phil our drummer joked that I get my shirt stamped every time that I go. Okay so maybe you had to be there (or at least see the shirt)!

No comments: