Friday, July 10, 2009

Totally Pop Century

As much as it may seem otherwise, I do have ambitions in my life. One of my dearest ambitions is to take a trip to New York during which I see every Broadway show that is currently playing. (I would even go so far at to start either at the Nederlander on 41st or Studio 54 on 54th and move incrementally theatre by theatre.) Another of my greatest ambitions is to stay in each of the Walt Disney World Resorts. Sadly these are both terribly cost prohibitive, but I did get a step closer to realizing the latter goal with this latest visit to WDW.

Since I had already dropped quite a lot of money on hotels for my upcoming trip to Boston, I decided to book one of the cheaper Disney hotels: in other words the dreaded "Value" Resorts. I say dreaded because these resorts are designed for families with millions of children not single men who aspire to staying at the W hotels. The rooms are very basic with paper thin walls. Everywhere you turn there is a swimming pool filled with screaming children. In fact everywhere you turn there are children, and I won't even get into the horrors of the bus to and from the Value Resorts! The Pop Century Resort is the newest of the Value Resorts so I decided to give it a shot.


Each section of the hotel is themed like a different decade from the 50s through the 90s. They put me in the 60s.

I wanted to be in the 80s. Alas!
























Apparently Disney began work on a sister Pop Century Resort to be know as The Classic Years which would be the 00s to the 40s. You can see the beginnings of the Resort across the lake in the back of Pop Century. In fact there is a bridge that will presumably connect the two. Work has obviously been halted, but that did not stop me from taking some pictures!





My Pop Century experience was just about what I expected. It took forever to get a bus to the resort after my day in the parks, and the bus was packed full of unhappy children. (And apparently a medical emergency which was a bit unsettling!) I was awakened in the morning by the loud family next door. It would have been okay except that these people were very annoying and I'm pretty sure that I hated them. Oh well at least I can check it off the list. So let's see:
Resorts Checked Off The List
All Star Music
Pop Century
Port Orleans Riverside
Coronado Springs
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Remaining Resorts
All Star Sports
All Star Movies
Port Orleans French Quarter
Caribbean Beach
Swan
Dolphin
Beach Club
BoardWalk
Contemporary
Grand Floridian
Polynesian
Wilderness Lodge
Yacht Club
And that does not include the Villas and Cabins. (I refuse to go to Disney World and camp so forget the campsites! In fact I refuse to go anywhere and camp) Looks like I have a long way to go!

No comments: