Thursday, July 30, 2009

Spring Awakening at the Colonial Theatre Boston

On my Saturday night in Boston, I decided to pay a visit to the national tour of Spring Awakening. It is a show that I love, and could see repeatedly. Also the allure of seeing a historic old Boston theatre was also very tempting.


The Colonial Theatre was one of the Pre-Broadway stops for Oklahoma! (or Away We Go! as it was called then) in 1943. There is a plaque commemorating this up by the women's lounge on the mezzanine level. (I'm not sure if there is any significance to its placement or not)



As for Spring Awakening, the show holds up well on tour. In fact I think the band sounded better on tour than on Broadway. I had seen the male leads before in New York, but was looking forward to seeing them again. Sadly I saw the understudy for Melchoir who was fine, but slightly disappointing. Oh well at least I can now say that I have seen four actors play the role.


So I've started doing something questionable. We all know that I am obsessed with theatre architecture and design and that I love taking pictures inside theatres. Well that is all well and good when you are performing in the theatre, but otherwise it is frowned upon. And understandably so. There is nothing worse than flashes going off during a show. But I'm interested in the decoration of the theatre not the show itself so really what is the harm if I use my phone's camera to snap a few covert pictures of the theatre. I mean really? The quality is not great, and it is impossible to set up a shot the way I do it so mostly I have been getting pretty bad pictures. Here are a few of the better ones:









No comments: