Monday, July 27, 2009

Boston for the first time

For months before our final layoff, I knew what I wanted to do with my time. A friend of mine got cast in the Boston production of Jerry Springer the Opera as Shawntel the poledancer. Since I happen to love Jerry Springer the Opera and the dates coincided with my time off, I decided to take my first trip to Boston. The fact that I have never been to Boston is not significant for any reason other than I have never made it there. I seem to always be distracted by New York! Plus the likelihood that one of our non-union tours would play there is pretty small because it is a strong union theatre town. In fact Boston was on an early schedule for The Wedding Singer I unearthed on Playbill.com, but it was long off of the schedule when I joined the tour.

As I did research into hotels and flights, I began to realize that Boston is a really expensive city much like New York. The difference is that I know no one in Boston, so I needed a hotel room. Sadly Boston is not like Chicago which has a ton of hotels meaning one can usually find a good hotel bargain. I was going to have to pay, but the prospect of hearing Joelle sing "I Just Wanna F#$&ing Dance" was too irresistible to pass up. So I decided to spend just a couple of days in Boston and minimize the expense. (Well I guess that I made up for it by going to Disney World. Details!?)



I had booked an early flight on Saturday from West Palm Beach to Boston. Unfortunately the weather was still not cooperating (much to Glenn's amusement), but the plane did eventually take off getting me to Boston. So that left me with Saturday night, Sunday, and Monday morning before I had to rejoin the tour. In traditional fashion, I made the most of my limited time and saw more than more sane people would think possible. I will break it up into a few posts. Here are some of the highlights of Boston:


Massachusetts State Capital Building


Boston Common


Trinity Church


Old South Church


BosTix booth in Copley Square (the Boston 1/2 price theatre ticket booth!)


View of Boston from the Massachusetts Street Bridge over the Charles River

No comments: