Wednesday, December 31, 2008

National Gallery of Art (East Building) or these are a few of my favorite things

When I first walked into the East Building of the National Gallery of Art, I thought, "Well at least it is free." It is a big open building, and there did not seem to be much art around. There were two special exhibits, neither holding much interest to me. As I began walking around though I started to notice that the art is hidden away in galleries that are not first noticeable. So things started to look up, and then I stumbled upon a room that might have been tailor made for me. Two of the artists whose work is most interesting to me are Jean Dubuffet and Alberto Giacometti, and there is one room that was the proverbial mother load of Dubuffet and Giacometti. Needless to say I was ecstatic, and I whipped out the camera. Below are some highlights:


The East Building is a really interesting structure. Unfortunately it is hard to get a good picture of it due to its location.


Below are the highlights from the Dubuffet collection:


I must have stood and observed this first one for 20 minutes. There is so much going on and so many interesting details.
-



Below are the hightlights of the Giacometti collection (most I had actually seen previously in an exhibit at the MOMA, but it was fun to see them again!)





No comments: