Thursday, July 10, 2008

Let's Get Away From Atlantic City





-Now I realize that I have only been in Atlantic City for a week and a half, but I took my first little side trip on my day off. And as you can all guess, it was to New York. Last week I overheard Nate amongst others discussing going to see Damn Yankees at City Center. Now I knew that this production was happening. Damn Yankees is a part of the Summer Stars Encores! Series. The same series that produced the production of Gypsy that is currently on Broadway. Damn Yankees is a show that I have always liked, plus starring in this production is Cheyenne Jackson, Jane Krakowski, and Sean Hayes. The concept behind Encores! is that they present the show with the original book played by a full orchestra and in the case of Damn Yankees with the original Fosse choreography. Over the years I have never gotten to see an Encores! show so I knew that this was the perfect chance. (Okay one of my big regrets in life is having passed up Promises, Promises at Encores! to see the first preview of Jekyll and Hyde. Was I smoking crack or what!)
-So I checked the schedule and the only Monday night performance listed was last Monday. I therefore hopped on a bus Sunday night after the show and made my way up to the city. For the first time in years I stayed with Brian. For years Brian was out of the city on tour so I got in the habit of staying with Eric, but this seemed the perfect opportunity to impose myself on Brian once again! And I am glad that I did. He lives up in Inwood which is the northernmost neighborhood on Manhattan's west side, and I must say that I liked the neighborhood and his apartment. The train ride is also not so bad especially considering that I had a 45 minute commute to the Woodwind every day. If I ever move to New York, I could see myself living in Inwood.
-As it turns out Brian had the day off on Monday and Tuesday so we got to hang out in the city. We started Monday by purchasing our tickets to the show and then we went shopping to kill time before meeting up with Eric for lunch. I purchased some new 80s socks from H&M in hot pink. (Now with the hot pink socks and tight rolled pants plus the new jacket I am wearing, I am the envy of all of the musicians. I will get a picture of the outfit and post it sometime.)
-We had lunch with Eric at the Thai place in the Chelsea Market. Afterwards Eric went back to Brooklyn, while Brian and I continued eating. Brian had the misfortune of discovering that I really have not been to most of the trendy eating establishments in New York. So we went to Soho to continue shopping but mostly to go to a place called Rice to Riches. Rice to Riches is a restaurant that only serves one thing: rice pudding. And oh the rice pudding. I had the Surrender to Mango flavor, and it was so good. Note to Sherry K: they ship their rice pudding. So if there were going to be an Indian feast say sometime in September, I might be persuaded to order some. Just saying.
-After failing to locate an inexpensive calculator watch to complete my Wedding Singer outfit and striking out at Macy's, we made our way back to City Center and saw the show. I found the show to be quite enjoyable. The book is rather dated, and the Fosse choreography did not entire suit Jane Krakowski, but just to hear that score being played by a full orchestra was more than enough for me. As it turns out, Nate did attend the show, but he had to catch a bus back to Atlantic City. So Brian and I went looking for a quick appetizer to share, and ended up eating a full meal at the Mexican restaurant that replaced Vinyl. Brian is probably still on a treadmill cursing my name!
-I caught the 2:30 bus back to AC on Tuesday, that is after eating a cupcake at the Cupcake Cafe with Brian. I was glad to get away for a couple of days, and now I am back to the good old Wedding Singer. BANG YOUR HEAD!

2 comments:

Brian said...

Yes...I'm still on the elliptical working off your visit! Curse you Ryan Claus!

Ryan Claus said...

Well it is a good thing that they invented the iPhone so that you can post your curses while you ellip! :) Actually if it is any consolation, Clark (the trumpet player) and I have started a program of two a day visits to the gym.