Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Land That Time Will Forget

When I decided to take my day trip to Disney World, I had not realized fully that I would be a part of a beginning and an end. As for the beginning, the week that I went is when the merchandise for the 40th Anniversary of the Magic Kingdom (and therefore Disney World itself) started to appear in the park. I discovered this because I bought a pair of 40 Anniversary ears, and I wanted to get my boyinthepit nickname embroidered into them. I had to go to 3 different shops to ask for the embroidering because none of the employees had ever seen the ears before and were unsure if they could actually sew into the material. (For the record, they could not.)


As for the end, I knew that the area of the Magic Kingdom known as Mickey's Toontown Fair was eventually going to close to make way for the expansion of Fantasyland. What I did not realize was that I chose to go during the last week of Toontown Fair's existence. I discovered that when I asked about getting my name stitched into my ears at the shop in Toontown Fair. Now Mickey's Toontown Fair is the one land in Magic Kingdom that I almost never visited since the attractions there were all designed for children. If the end result of the new Fantasyland expansion turns out to be as interesting as the plans show, I will have no regrets about seeing Toontown Fair fade into a memory. I mean does anyone really remember Mickey's Birthdayland or Mickey's Starland?























No comments: