Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Walt Disney Concert Hall

Since I had three weeks off in Los Angeles, I of course tried to fill my time with as much culture (well and Disneyland too!) as I could.  There really wasn't much theatre that I was interested in seeing so I turned to other performing arts.  The LA Philharmonic was high up on my list of things to do, and it just so happened that they had a concert that was the best of both worlds for me.  It was a concert of all Tchaikovsky Overtures which were based on Shakespeare plays: Hamlet, The Tempest, and Romeo and Juliet.  To make the concert even more interesting, they also used actors (like Orlando Bloom) to perform short segments from each of the plays before the orchestra played the corresponding Overture.  It was a great night of music and seeing Orlando Bloom!

Even if there had not been an LA Phil concert that I wanted to see, I would definitely have walked the few blocks from our hotel just to see Walt Disney Concert Hall where the orchestra performs.  Designed by Frank Gehry, the concert hall stirred up quite a lot of controversy during the many years that it took to build it.  But the end result is pretty spectacular inside and out.




No comments: