Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Walking Tour of Aubuquerque

Having been to Albuquerque a few years ago for a National Flute Association Convention, I knew a bit about downtown Albuquerque. Unfortunately, the touring venue in Albuquerque is not in downtown. It is about 5 miles away on the University of New Mexico campus. Well there were a couple of things that I wanted to see again in downtown so one day I decided to have a crazy walking adventure from where we were staying to downtown and back. Here are some highlights of my walk:



There is an episode of The Simpsons where the Springfield Isotopes are going to leave Springfield and move to Albuquerque. Now I don't know if there is any fact behind the episode, but there is an Isotopes minor league baseball team in Albuquerque. Their stadium looked to be pretty fun too.




A stretch of the old Route 66 runs through downtown Albuquerque.



When I revisit cities, I like to see if I can find some of the places that I had visited before. We bought flowers for the display at the Flute Convention at the above flower shop. (Plus they have pretty cool signage.) Below is the Convention Center.



I also went to Old Town Albuquerque which is about a mile outside of the current downtown area. From what I remember this is where Albuquerque was originated, and there are a bunch of old buildings
and an old church there. These days it is a tourist trap lined with shops and restaurants. I fell into the trap and ate lunch there.







I had originally planned to have a rental car in Albuquerque so that I could drive out to see the natural highlights of the area. Alas that Budget would not give me a car nor could they tell me what the problem was. Oh well!

No comments: