Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Wizard of Oz Finally Lands in Kansas (For a Stopover)

So am I the only one who finds it to be ironic that our tour of The Wizard of Oz has yet to play in Kansas? We still have not played there, but we did have a stopover night in Wichita en route to Columbia, Missouri.


Our hotel was right next to the Performing Arts Center which is where we would have played had our tour played there. As I was out looking for food, I passed the theatre and noticed that they were going to be having the latest tour of The Wedding Singer. This is not a continuation of the NETworks tour, but it is the same physical production bought out by a different company. The creepy thing is that they are using some of the production photos from our tour. It is a bit strange to see pictures of Merritt knowing that he has nothing to do with this tour!




The Metropolis of Wichita.


I did discover an old Orpheum Theatre downtown. I wouldn't have minded seeing The Great Muppet Caper!

Wichita is where I finally gave in and saw the Avatar movie in 3D. In fact it was one of those fancy cinemas with servers who come to your seat to take your order. It seems a little silly to have a server bring you popcorn, but others in our group ordered actual food and drinks. Also I had a notable first at this cinema. I asked my server to bring a sufficient amount of the powdered ranch flavoring for my popcorn, and she actually brought me more than I could have used for a week's worth of movie theatre popcorn. In fact, I used so much that it made me a bit sick!


That's about it for our stopover. This building was pretty cool. It made up for all of the other uninteresting buildings!!

No comments: